Make Sure Your Valuables are Covered
Chances are you own expensive items such as jewelry, silverware, antiques, artwork, or firearms and more. Many make the mistake of assuming that their homeowners Insurance will cover the full value of these types of items if they are stolen, broken or damaged. In that case Butwin Insurance Group encourages you to consider valuables insurance to make sure your loss would be covered.
In general, any item worth more than $2,500 should be insured with supplemental valuables insurance. Here is a list of items with typically high values that should be covered by a supplemental valuables insurance policy:
- Jewelry of precious metals and gemstones
- Antiques and heirlooms
- Custom-made and designer furnishings
- Couture clothing and accessories
- Mechanical watches, particularly rare models
- Rare musical instruments
- Fine wine collections
- Handmade rugs, carpets, quilts and tapestries
- High-end / designer appliances
- Fine arts, original paintings and sculptures, and signed prints by noted artists
- Collectibles including rare books, stamps, glassware, china, etc.
The personal insurance specialists at Butwin encourage you to take an inventory of your possessions – and review and update it annually – to determine if any would exceed your homeowners insurance value. If you suspect that the value of any one piece exceeds $20,000, you should have the item appraised since the insurance company will likely require an appraisal to issue a valuables insurance policy.
Butwin Insurance Group makes obtaining valuables insurance easy with a quick and simple rider to cover the true replacement value of your possessions.